Researcher and Forensic Laboratory Manager
Current education level: MSc (Botany and Plant Biotechnology)
Field of Specialisation: DNA Barcoding and Molecular systematics
Project Title: Generic circumscription and relationships of Southern African representatives of Hypoxis and allies (Hypoxidaceae, Asparagales).
Sanele Shiba is currently based at the African Centre for DNA Barcoding, where she has acquired skills in basic plant and animal DNA extraction, gene amplification using PCR (polymerase chain reaction), cycle sequencing of gene regions as well as editing and aligning of DNA sequences. She has also gained invaluable experience in database comparisons of DNA sequences and compilation of phylogenetic trees.
Sanele is currently appointed as a Researcher and Forensic Laboratory Manager for incoming official cases at the African Centre for DNA Barcoding where she oversees a team of five people.
“Science may be described as the art of systematic over simplification” – Karl Popper
- 2017 Local Organising Committee (LOC) representative and sponsorship liaison for the International Barcode of Life Conference (IBOL)
- Attended the 43rd Annual Conference of the South African Association of Botanist (SAAB). January 8 – 11, 2017. Lagoon Beach Hotel, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2016 Achieved Honours degree in Botany and Plant Biotechnology
- 2016 Member of the LOC for the Postgraduate Symposium
- 42nd Annual Conference of the South African Association of Botanist (SAAB). January 10 – 14, 2016. University of Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- 6th International Barcode of Life Conference: Barcodes to Biomes. August 18 – 21, 2015. University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
- 11th Annual UJ Botany Postgraduate symposium. October 27, 2015. University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 12th Annual UJ Botany Postgraduate symposium. November 14 – 15, 2015. University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2007: Volleyball Captain for Swaziland National Team
- 2006: SRC President
- 2005: SRC Secretary